Saturday, January 4, 2014

First Birthday Cake 2014

This year is already showing to be awesome, starting with this cake which is my first for 2014.The lady requested a white cake with red roses and green hydrangeas for the holiday season. I love making gumpaste flowers. My absolute favorite is the rose and with this cake I got to try a few new techniques I've learned from the cake site cake central. The wilton method I learned is using a flower cutter and just layering them. They are pretty as you can see in this photo. 
 
I made these after my class on roses but I wanted roses that were a bit more realistic. I searched the internet and ran across a site known as cake central, which by the way is the best place for questions or pictures of cakes. The technique they talked about was using a petal cutter and rolling the edges to make it look more real. After practicing a bit seeing as I needed them for this birthday cake I made these.
I used bits of paper towel to hold the petals apart. It worked perfectly. Next thing was to make them red and once again I looked to cake central for advice. I had used red gumpaste but it dried a dark pink not the red I was looking for. So people online said to use a petal dust for making them red and steaming them to set it which makes them look real. After ordering some dust and dusting them I was amazed at the differance.
So now I have red roses. I finished up the hydrangeas and leaves and added a few little white flowers for filler. 
I dusted the hydrangeas light green and my leaves to give them a more real look. Covered my cake in fondant. 
I finished up adding letters and a border along with the flowers and I think this is one of the prettiest cakes ever (besides my moms as she informed me when I said that). 



No comments:

Post a Comment